CBD (cannabidiol) is all over the news and the internet. For what reasons? There are so many questions surrounding CBD. We are sure you have heard of CBD in some way or another. You have also likely heard of a tincture and, of course, an oil. What do these two things mean? What do they have to do with CBD? And then, what is the difference between the two? In this blog we will answer these questions to give you a bit more understanding. Let’s start off simple, what is CBD?
CBD? What is that?
The basic understanding of what CBD is and what it is not is highly important moving forward. There are many misconceptions about CBD. CBD is one of the 113 cannabinoids found in the Cannabis sativa plant. This component in particular has gained a lot of questions surrounding it as it is a sibling to THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). We bet you have heard of THC! Why is that? THC is the component found in marijuana plants that gives users the feeling ‘high’ or an inebriation of sorts.
These two cannabinoids are often found together, but they do not have the same qualities. This is why CBD is legal throughout the United States whereas THC is not. In 2018 the Farm Bill was passed. This bill allows farmers across the states to grow and sell the hemp plant legally. The hemp plant is a variation of the Cannabis sativa plant and it contains very low amounts of THC (.3% to be exact). Because of the low amounts of THC and the high amounts of CBD it is legal to sell and grow. However, the marijuana plant has much higher amounts of THC and is only legal to grow and sell in a handful of states.
CBD has been described to have many different potential health benefits. Because CBD is natural those who prefer holistic ways of health have been using it in any way that they can.
Now that we know what CBD is and is not, what is an oil?
What is an oil?
CBD oil and CBD tinctures are very, very similar. Practically the same. A CBD oil, to be exact is the CBD oil extracted from the hemp stalks, flowers, and seeds. Depending on the extraction process it is added to different types of carrier oils. These oils could include medium chain triglyceride (MCT)coconut oil along with many others.
CBD oils generally do not contain any added flavor and therefore have an earthy taste to them. These have very high bioavailability and therefore and felt quite fast compared to other types of CBD products. Our Panacea Pure CBD Oil Drops are broad spectrum and have added flavors to choose from. Mixed berry, vanilla, and, if you prefer no flavor, a natural option is available. Different strengths are available as well.
What is a tincture?
Like we stated before, CBD oils and tinctures are practically the same thing and that is why they are often confused with one another. A CBD tincture is a liquid extract of the hemp plant added to alcohol or oils like cinnamon or peppermint. Tinctures are used the same way oils are but, generally have less amounts of CBD in them (less potent).
Our Canine CBD Tincture contains Omega-3 rich fish oil, our pure CBD hemp oil, and MCT coconut oil. We offer several concentrations of CBD tailored to the size of your canine. This tincture can be added to your dog’s favorite treat or administered directly into their mouths.
CBD product types
Now that you know a little more about CBD oil and tinctures, we bet you are wondering about other products available. Besides oils and tinctures here is a list:
- Topicals: CBD topicals are used to promote skin health. Topicals come in salves, lotions, and even creams. The CBD added into these topicals never reaches one’s bloodstream. However, they have been described to give benefits from the pores of the skin. These work best when used liberally and often. CBD hand sanitizer is also available to do what hand sanitizer does best, kill bacteria.
- FDA approved medications: There are a handful of FDA approved medications that contain CBD that you may have not heard about. Epidiolex (cannabidiol), and Marinol (dronabinol), Syndros (dronabinol), and Cesamet (nabilone). Epidiolex helps treat those with two forms of severe epilepsy. Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome to be exact. This medication helps stop seizures. The other three medications help those who are going through anti-cancer treatments. These medications assist with the nausea those patients feel.
- Vapes: Panacea Life Sciences does not advocate for the use of CBD vapes. With this being said, it is an option. After being inhaled the CBD reaches the bloodstream through the lungs.
- Soft capsules: Soft capsules or soft gels are CBD in a pill-like form. These are swallowed and then go through the digestive system to reach the stomach. This is where it is broken down and the CBD is absorbed through the stomach lining and into the bloodstream.
- Tablets: Sublingual tablets are similar to tinctures or oils. These tablets are placed in the mouth and dissolved from there. As they dissolve in the mouth the CBD is absorbed into the bloodstream from there.
- Edibles: Edibles come in various forms and are similar to soft capsules. But instead of swallowing the product you chew the yummy gummy. From the stomach, like the soft capsules, it is absorbed into the bloodstream by the stomach lining.
Tincture or oil
There are several different types of ways to get CBD into one’s daily life. Whether it is an oil, tincture or one of the other options we have given you CBD could create a bit of holistic health. As always it is important to note that not all tinctures and oils are made equal. Make sure to read the ingredients carefully so that you are not getting unwanted elements into your body. As always, if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at [email protected]