It is likely that you associate the Cannabis sativa plant with the great state of Colorado, and for good reason. Colorado was one of the first states to legalize marijuana! Although our cannabidiol (CBD) is not derived from the marijuana plant, we here at Panacea Life Sciences could not be prouder to be members of the Colorado crew. What makes our CBD stand out from others here? What products do we offer those who live here in CO. with us as well as those throughout the states? Read on to find out!
Let’s start here: what is CBD?
Even in a place that has legalized the marijuana plant, there can still be some confusion on what CBD is and what it is not. CBD is one of the 113 different cannabinoids found in the Cannabis sativa plant. The Cannabis sativa plant comes in several different varieties. One of them being the marijuana plant, which most people are familiar with. This plant contains high amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and lower amounts of CBD. Because of this those who use marijuana get ‘high’ or a feeling of euphoria. This is not legal everywhere because of the psychoactive component, but it is legal in a handful of states (including Colorado) for medicinal and recreational use.
The hemp plant however has been legalized in all 50 states (with restrictions in some states) thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill. Because of this bill farmers across the United States can grow and sell the hemp plant. The hemp plant is another variety of the Cannabis sativa plant. Hemp contains high amounts of CBD and at or less than 0.3% of THC. This amount of THC cannot get a user ‘high’ like the marijuana plant. We here at Panacea Life Sciences use the hemp plant to make our CBD products so that those within the state and surrounding states may use our high-quality products.
How can I use CBD?
There are many ways that one can use CBD products and if you are from the great state of Colorado, we wouldn’t be surprised if you already knew the potential benefits. But here is a refresher:
- Skin health: Although CBD topicals typically do not reach the bloodstream this does not mean that they cannot assist in skin health. In this study they concluded that those with and without skin conditions had improved skin health after the use of CBD topicals. They used several tests to test before and after the use of a CBD topical. Their evidence was enhanced by photographic evidence.
- Promote a sense of calm: Promoting a sense of calm in those who have feelings of anxiousness may be quite helpful to some. In this study, they used brain imaging to test subjects who have SAD (social anxiety disorder). Those who were given the CBD showed a decrease in their social anxiety disorder via brain scans. Those who did not receive the CBD did not have any decrease.
- FDA approved medications: There are several FDA approved medications that contain CBD. Epidiolex is the most well-known. This medication helps those with two severe types of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome. There are also a handful of others that assist those going through anti-cancer treatments and the nausea it may cause. These are called Marinol (dronabinol), Syndros (dronabinol), and Cesamet (nabilone). These medications can only be prescribed by a healthcare professional.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: CBD has been researched for the possibility of joint health benefits. Panacea Life Sciences has done our own research regarding this aspect. We looked at dogs who are older and have joint health issues. During this study, we asked pet owners to administer CBD to their dogs two times a day for four consecutive weeks. The owners were to take a weekly test to show if anything had improved. At the end of the four weeks pet owners described their dogs to be more mobile. Therefore, the CBD may have helped with their joint health!
- Antibacterial properties: There has been information coming to the forefront of the potential antibacterial properties of CBD. And this information may be true. In this study they concluded that CBD had the capability to kill certain types of bacteria.
CBD: the products
Now that you have refreshed your memory on what CBD may be able to do for you. What product will you choose? Here is a mind-jolt on products:
- Softgels: A soft gel is a capsule that is full of CBD. Once the capsule is swallowed it goes through the digestive tract and then lands in the stomach. Once there the CBD is absorbed as the capsule is broken down. The CBD is absorbed by the stomach and enters the bloodstream from there.
- Tablets: A tablet is placed in the mouth and dissolves there. It enters the bloodstream from the mouth as the tincture does. You can add or subtract amounts of CBD with a dropper, but tablets are made with the same mg every time making it easier to know how much you are getting.
- Tinctures: This type of CBD gets into the bloodstream quickly. When the dropper full of CBD is placed in the mouth it is absorbed into the bloodstream from there. A tincture is an oil like substance that is added to carrier oil. Some tinctures come flavored to mask the earthy hemp taste that some do not enjoy. Although tinctures give the CBD effects quite quickly, they have been described to last not as long as other products. These are similar to tablets in their bioavailability.
- Topicals: CBD topicals are a bit different than the others as they typically do not reach the bloodstream. They, however, can reap benefits from the pores on the surface of the skin. These are best used frequently and in the same area. They come in lotions, salves, creams, and even hand sanitizer for antibacterial purposes.
- Vapes: Panacea Life Sciences does not advocate the use of vapes, it is an option for CBD use. This way of using CBD has a high rate of absorption as it directly enters the bloodstream via inhalation. That being said it is important to note that the effects may be shorter lived and inhaling CBD may have negative health associations.
Panacea Life Sciences is happy to be a part of the Colorado community. We are committed to giving the best quality products as well as the most up-to-date information available surrounding CBD.