Everyone experiences feelings of discomfort multiple times in their lives. Everyone manages that discomfort in a different way. Some may pop over the counter medication while others may dabble in essential oils in hope of relief.
What other ways are there? Could cannabidiol (more well known as CBD) help? It is a possibility. There are still small amounts of research surrounding CBD in general and topics surrounding it as well. But we have done our best to find the answers that will help our customers move to the next step of their CBD journey. First, we should establish what CBD is as well as what it is not.
What is CBD? What about THC?
CBD or cannabidiol is one of the 113 cannabinoids found in the Cannabis sativa plant. The Cannabis sativa plant varies from marijuana to hemp. Oftentimes, CBD is confused with THC or tetrahydrocannabinol, the component that gives users the feeling of a ‘high’. CBD does not do that. CBD and THC are found together and have some similarities, but, the big difference is that CBD does not have inebriating effects while THC does. This is also the reason that CBD is legal in all 50 states while THC is only legal in a handful.
As of 2018 the hemp plant is legal to grow and sell throughout the states. The Farm Bill has allowed this. For a CBD product to be legally defined as CBD it must have less than 0.3% of THC in it. This is not enough to get one high and is safe for daily use. There are also THC free products available that contain only CBD, or CBD and other cannabinoids that are not THC. You can learn more about THC-free CBD here.
This is also probably why you have been hearing and reading so much about CBD in the last few years. While CBD does not have the inebriating effects, it has been described as being able to provide other effects that may benefit a person’s daily life.
After being extracted from the hemp plant, CBD can be turned into many different forms.
What strains of CBD are there?
When researching CBD, it is likely that you have heard of the term “strains” what is this and what does it mean? Oftentimes when people are speaking of strains, they are likely speaking of the marijuana plant. This is quite a popular topic as there are multiple strains grown for the different kinds of ‘high’ one can feel when marijuana is used. Two popular strains are indica and sativa. However, this does not mean that there are no strains of different hemp plants, but it is less popular as a strain is defined as a strain because of the different amounts of THC and CBD, etc. This is because, like stated before, the reason hemp is legal in all 50 states is because of the very low amount of THC involved. But this does not mean that the variety of CBD available is slim. Here is a break down:
- CBD Isolate: This is fairly self-explanatory; this type of CBD isolates the cannabinoid wanted. These types of products will contain CBD and CBD only.
- Full-Spectrum: Full spectrum CBD contains all of the cannabinoids (including the small trace of THC) in it. A full profile of cannabinoids is present, so you reap all the benefits of them (without the high).
- Broad spectrum: This CBD variety contains the full profile of all cannabinoids, but all amounts of THC have been extracted. So, if you are worried about THC but want to reap all the other benefits of the cannabinoids broad spectrum is for you.
Now that you understand what a strain is and how it correlates to CBD. Read on for the reason you chose to read this article: discomfort management.
Discomfort & CBD
Like we stated before, there is still much to research surrounding CBD and what it may do to benefit your daily life. One of the uses that people are curious about is the easing of discomfort. We have explained what other ways people try to ease discomfort, but, what about CBD? Can that help?
Here at Panacea Life Sciences, we did a study on one of our favorite things (and probably yours too) dogs! We had our subjects, who had osteoarthritis, be administered CBD to see how their mobility would play out. According to the owners their mobility was improved when CBD was used. Osteoarthritis swells the joints of these furry friends. With this increased mobility they were able to run and play with more ease. Therefore, CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that may be associated with discomfort management.
Now you may be saying, “but what about humans?” In this study they found that those who were given the CBD spray rather than the placebo had improvements in discomfort and sleep.
It is important that before you begin the use of CBD to speak with your healthcare provider.
Other Uses of CBD
Now that you know that there is a possible benefit to help easing senses of discomfort with CBD, what else can it do? Here is a list:
- Skin health: There are several products that are geared toward the health of one’s skin. These come in lotions, salves and even cremes. This study shows the benefits of using a CBD topical. A CBD topical was given to people who did and did not have current skin conditions. They were all tested before and after with multiple different tests to ensure quality results. A skin elasticity test was given, as well as a transdermal test, followed by a hydration test. They found that using a CBD topical helped improve their skin health and was documented by photographic evidence.
- Sense of calm: For those you have feelings of anxiousness, CBD may help improve that state. This study concluded that CBD has the potential to help assist those who have disorders surrounding the feelings of anxiousness.
- FDA approved medications: There are several FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) medications that have been approved for use. Epidiolex is one of them. This is used to help stop seizures from these two severe forms of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome. There are also a few others that assist those who are going through cancer treatments to assist with nausea.
What CBD products are available?
Now that we know that uses there are of CBD. What CBD products are available? What products are available to purchase on our website? Read on.
- Tinctures: A tincture is an oil like substance that is generally placed under the tongue. From there the CBD is absorbed into the bloodstream. This is one of the quickest ways to get CBD into the system.
- Tablets: Tablets are similar to tinctures in the way that they are absorbed into the bloodstream. Through the mouth, but instead of the oil like substance it is in a dissolvable tablet. This is placed on the tongue and is dissolved there.
- Edibles: An edible is exactly what it sounds like. Something you eat! Panacea Life Sciences has cherry gummies for you to enjoy. After being chewed and swallowed these edibles go through the digestive system. Once broken down, the CBD is absorbed into the bloodstream by the lining of the stomach.
- Soft gels: Soft gels are similar to edibles in the way that they are absorbed. Into the stomach lining through the digestive tract. But instead of a gummy, a soft gel full of CBD is swallowed.
- Vapes: Here at Panacea Life Sciences, we do not advocate for the use of CBD vapes, but it is an option. Once inhaled the CBD reaches the bloodstream by the lungs.
- Topicals: Lotions, creams, salves and even hand sanitizer are available. CBD is added to these daily use products. Topicals, however, never reach the bloodstream through the skin. But may provide benefits from the pores in the skin. These are best used liberally and often. CBD hand sanitizer is made to do what all hand sanitizers do, kill bacteria. With the recent pandemic in action we decided to help out as much as possible. CBD hand sanitizer was made and is ready to help keep you and your family safe.
CBD, Strains, and Discomfort
There is still much to learn regarding CBD and what it may or may not do. But we hope that we have shed some light on the subject and that it will help ease your CBD journey. One of our most asked questions is “will CBD get me high?” and we hope we have explained that the answer is no. CBD is legal throughout the states, but, be cautious about where you purchase it. Reputable retailers are of the utmost importance. Strains of CBD are not as far and wide as the strains of the marijuana plant but understanding why is important. There are several different products that are available for purchase.
Easing discomfort is difficult to achieve and a holistic approach may be possible is what we hope you have gained from reading this blog post. If you have any comments or questions please feel free to contact us at [email protected].