CBD (Cannabidiol) has become more popular as well as more available throughout the world. Why now? What is all the hype about? Because of the rise of CBD and having less confusion surrounding what it is, people are wondering why they should add it to their daily schedules. There are a handful of reasons people have begun to use CBD. One of them is increasing overall health. This reason in particular has had little research done surrounding it, but that does not mean that we cannot do a little digging ourselves. One of the other reasons that CBD has become so popular is because of the natural way it is derived, and folks are leaning more toward a more holistic way of health. Before we dive into the nitty gritty, let us start from the very beginning. Cannabidiol, what is it?
CBD: What is it?
Let’s break it down. What is CBD? CBD or cannabidiol is one of the 113 cannabinoids found in the Cannabis sativa plant. The Cannabis sativa plant is a naturally occurring plant that comes in a variety of different types. One of these types is the hemp plant. The hemp plant contains high amounts of CBD and has low amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
You likely have already heard of THC as it has been at the forefront of the conversation surrounding Cannabis sativa. The reason THC is so well known is because of the psychoactive effects that it has on the brain. THC creates a euphoric feeling or, in slang terms, a ‘high’. The low amounts of THC in the hemp plant cannot get people who use CBD or hemp products ‘high’. This is the reason that the hemp plant versus the marijuana plant is legal throughout the United States.
In 2018 the Farm Bill was passed. This bill allows farmers across the country to grow and sell the hemp plant legally. The percent of THC allowed in a hemp or CBD product is 0.3%. This low amount, again, does not cause the euphoric feeling described. However, there are some states that have legalized the growth and selling of the marijuana plant. The marijuana plant has high amounts of THC and less, equal or no amounts of CBD. These products are used for medical purposes as well as recreational purposes. CBD is more widely used because of the legality as well as the potential health wellness benefits that keep arising.
What are ongoing conditions?
Now that we understand what CBD is and what it is not, let’s get down to what our readers are here for. Ongoing conditions. What are ongoing conditions?
Ongoing conditions are, put simply, health conditions that will always be there. Ongoing conditions are also interchangeable with the term pre-existing conditions. Some examples of ongoing conditions are epilepsy, diabetes, lupus, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, heart disease, and asthma. This is just a short list of some ongoing conditions, but there are plenty more. Some of these conditions may have always been there or they arrived at a certain time in your life. Some are easily managed, others not so much. There is no cure-all for these conditions, they are only able to be managed. Can CBD manage ongoing conditions? Perhaps. There still needs to be plenty of research done surrounding CBD and its effect on health, but we have evidence of one.
Epidiolex is one of the only FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) approved medications containing CBD. It is used for people who have one of two very severe forms of epilepsy. These forms of epilepsy are called Lennox-Gastaut syndrome or Dravet syndrome. This medication treats seizures associated with the syndromes. Only those 2 years and older are able to use the medication, but this is highly important to the CBD world. The evidence shows that CBD has amazing capabilities that we are just beginning to understand. More research is needed to fully describe the full extent of CBD effects on health. Epidiolex, like other medications, has its side-effects but it is the first and only medication to be approved for Dravet Syndrome. Although this is just one medication that proves that CBD can assist ongoing conditions it gives hope that there may be more in the future.
There is one study that we can look at to see the potential of CBD assisting those with ongoing conditions. This study does not follow humans but follows horses. Forty-one horses were selected for this study because they had observed movement issues such as an altered gait, as well as feelings of anxiousness. In this initial study the horses were given 50 mg of CBD regardless of body size to observe potential effects. The CBD was given twice a day for two weeks consecutively. The horses’ caregivers were to take an assessment specifically designed for the study at the end of each week. The study indicated that there were significant improvements in movement and a trend towards decreasing anxiety behaviors. However, the researchers did state that more directed studies need to be performed to reach firm conclusions on dosing and effects.
Now we understand that CBD has the potential to assist those with ongoing conditions. Besides Epidiolex, what types of CBD products are available? There are lots of available CBD products and more and more are continuing to pop up. Here is a list of a few we have available:
- Tablets: This type of CBD is very easy to use. You just place it in your mouth, let it dissolve and you are done! After being dissolved the CBD reaches the bloodstream through the mouth. This is a very quick way to get CBD into your bloodstream. Our CBD tablets come in 35 mg and 75 mg. We also provide equine tablets as well.
- Topicals: CBD topicals typically do not reach the bloodstream but may provide benefits through the pores of the skin. These topicals come in salves, creams, and lotions. They are best used when applied liberally and often (try morning and evening). There are also bacteria killing CBD hand sanitizer as well and CBD cleansing hand creme available.
- Soft gels: Soft gel CBD is a great way to get CBD into your routine. Our soft capsules are taken like any type of pill. Swallow and go! The capsule is full of CBD. Once it reaches the stomach through the digestive tract it breaks down and is absorbed into the bloodstream from the stomach. These take a bit longer to feel but, some have described to last a bit longer.
- Tinctures: The way that a tincture gets into the bloodstream is similar to the way a tablet does. But, instead of a dissolvable tablet a tincture is an oil like substance. With the dropper, place the wanted amount of CBD into the mouth and let it sit there until dissolved. This also gets in the bloodstream quickly.
- Edibles: Tinctures and tablets are similar and so are edibles and soft gels. But instead of swallowing a capsule, edibles come in a variety of different yummy types. We sell Cherry Bomb gummies. Like soft gels, after swallowing the edible breaks down in the stomach and the CBD is absorbed from there.
- Vapes: Panacea Life Sciences does not sell CBD vapes nor do we advocate for the use of them. With that being said it is important to understand them. After the CBD is inhaled it is absorbed through the lungs and then on into the bloodstream. This works quickly but can have negative effects for the lungs.
How to use CBD
How do you use these products to your advantage? What about those ongoing conditions we talk about earlier in this post? If you are using Epidiolex listen to the instructions that have been prescribed. If you have decided to use CBD for another type of ongoing condition, it is important to speak with our healthcare provider. CBD should not be a replacement to medications that have been prescribed by a healthcare provider. If you want to use CBD for the other benefits it may have to your overall wellness, start with a small amount. This is easiest with a tincture as you can use less than a full dropper. If you do not feel much, increase the amount you are using. Once you have figured out the best amount for you and your needs using a different type of CBD will be easier.
There are many different reasons people have started using CBD in their daily routines. Here is a small list:
- Sense of calm
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Skin Health
- Overall wellbeing
There are several different blog posts chalk full of more information surrounding each of these subjects. Click here to browse those and learn more!
Ongoing conditions and CBD
Clearly, there needs to be plenty more research done around CBD and its potential benefits regarding ongoing conditions. However, there is a glimpse of hope with the research that has already been done. The natural wellness aspect of CBD is eye catching and popular. Because of this it is important to get your CBD from a reputable source so that you can get the highest quality available. As always, feel free to contact us with questions or comments at [email protected].