2020 has been, to say the least, a very interesting and complicated year so far. The most popular topic has been the Coronavirus, or COVID-19. There are a plethora of new rules and regulations that have been introduced to our daily lives. One of those new rules? Masks. Most establishments require face coverings before entering. In the start, there was a struggle to get medical professionals the masks they needed to protect them from this unknown entity. Now that we have passed the majority of the panic, it is now a debate on which mask is most useful. If you work in the health-field, you will likely have heard of the KN95 mask and know everything that this article will be about. So, you can skip this and read more about our high-quality CBD (cannabidiol) in our CBD Blog. Let’s start off with some definitions.
What is KN95?
A KN95 mask is a type of mask used to help prevent the spread illnesses that are contagious through the air. These masks are a bit more protective than the average cloth masks you may have been seeing everywhere.
Here is information about the masks that we carry:
- Fit – The flexible nose guard is designed to provide a custom fit to ensure a soft and comfortable fit to reduce skin irritation while the stretchable braided ear bands ensure comfort over long periods of wear time.
- Easy to wear – The vertical folding design and overall lightweight structure make this mask easy to store and carry.
- Protective – The KN95 is a disposable and breathable mask designed to offer more protection than standard disposable 3-Ply masks.
- 4-Ply – 4-Layers of protection include a non-woven inner layer, melt-blown filter, hot air cotton filter, and non-woven outer shell.
Our masks are Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Approved. The CDC tested a limited number of masks from this manufacturer and found that the filtration efficiency was above 95%. It is important to note that there have been some KN95 masks that have been made with filtration valves. These masks are not approved or recommended by the CDC. This is because the valves make the masks not as effective. The filtration in the valve does not keep the virus from getting in or out of the mask. So, these masks could still be putting you and others in at risk for spreading COVID-19. Want to learn more about the KN95 (without valves)? Click here to learn more.
How do KN95 masks help with COVID-19?
The CDC recommends that people wear masks in public places and when they are with people who do not live with you, especially when you cannot take the extra measure of social distance. Masks may help prevent people who already have COVID-19 from spreading the virus to others. These are most likely to reduce the spread of COVID-19 when people in public settings widely use them. Masks should not be used by kids under the age of two.
Masks are recommended as a barrier to prevent respiratory droplets from traveling into the air and onto other people when the person wearing the mask coughs, sneezes, talks, or raising their voice. This is called “source control.” This recommendation is because of what we know about the role respiratory droplets play in the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.
What is COVID-19 or the Coronavirus?
You likely know what the Coronavirus is, but here is an overview, just in case you need a bit more clarification. COVID-19 is a new form of the Coronavirus and has spread internationally. There are countries that have contained it well, others not so much. There is still a lot of uncertainty surrounding this new virus, but we know this.
The symptoms include:
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- New loss of taste or smell
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle or body aches
- Fever or chills
If you feel sick it is best to say home or if you have been exposed to someone who tested positive. Wearing a mask is just starting to stop the spread and getting back to our healthy lives.
If a case is severe, COVID-19 can cause respiratory problems, kidney failure, and even death. This all sounds very scary, but the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) gave us some guidelines on how to stop the spread of this disease.
What else can we do to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus?
There are many ways that the CDC has given us to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Here are a few easy ones:
- Avoid close contact: If someone is sick inside your home, attempt to maintain six feet of distance between you and someone who is sick. Outside of the house, do the same with others around you.
- Clean and regularly sanitize: Clean places and things that are often touched throughout your house.
- Cover your mouth and nose: This is important when you are out in public. It is possible that you could spread COVID-19 to others without knowing that you are sick. Everyone should wear a cloth facemask when out around others.
- Wash your hands: Before eating or preparing food, before touching your face, after using the restroom, after leaving a public place, after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing, after handling your cloth face covering, after changing a diaper, after caring for someone sick and after touching animals or pets.
These are just a few ways we can help others stay safe and yourself. To learn more about COVID-19, click here to be taken to the CDC website.
What other types of masks are used?
Perhaps you are in a bind and cannot wait for a mask to get to your house. What other types of masks are there? There are plenty of masks available now that most of the panic has settled. Most grocery stores have them available for purchase or you can even make your own. The CDC website has instructions on masks you can make by sewing or a no-sew option as well. People are using bandanas or scarves as face-coverings as well. As long as your mouth and nose are covered, you are doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
Bottom Line: COVID-19 Edition
There is still a lot we need to learn about this virus that has created chaos in this year of 2020, but there are small things that we do know and can do to help everyone. So, wear your mask and stay safe!